Follow these steps to connect your dbt Cloud project to Select Star.
Create a new DBT Job:
Set it up with the following settings:
- Select the environment
- add a command
dbt compile --full-refresh
Schedule, select every day at exactly hour 4. This will run the job before we run our ingestion, so your data source is always up to date.
Finally, don't forget to save!
You should now see a page like this:
To get your job id, check the URL, you should see something like this:
the job id is the last number in the URL.
This job needs to run at least once successfully in order for Select Star to be able to process your dbt project.
Click the Green
Run nowbutton in the top right corner
Click on the new run generated in the list below:
You should see the following screen:
Wait until that grey
Runningstatus in the top left corner changes to a green
Once the run finishes successfully, you can go to Select Star to add your dbt data source.
From your +Add Data Source, select
dbt Cloudin the
dbt Typedrop down
Select dbt Cloud in the dbt Type drop down
Provide your service token and job id (see 1. Setup a dbt Cloud Custom Job for setting up your custom job and getting it's Job Id).
- Display Name: This value is
dbtby default, but you can override it if desired.
- Ingestion Settings: See our previous docs to determine which of the two checkboxes you'll need: 1. Determine what kind of dbt connection you need
- Data Source: Select one of your existing warehouse data sources to connect to (i.e. Snowflake, BigQuery, Redshift).
- Note: if you don't have any other data source, you'll need to select the SQL dialect according to which data warehouse you use (i.e. Snowflake, BigQuery, Redshift). This will be labelled as Dialect instead of Data Source.
- API Key: You may either use a ...
- dbt service token (preferred)
- Permissions: we need the Metadata Only and Read Only permission for the projects that you are connecting
- Job Id: The id for the custom job which will generate the dbt metadata needed for ingestion
To see dbt tests in Select Star you will need to check
Create a Separate Data Source.
Click the Connect button at the bottom of the Add Data Source modal.
Your metadata should start loading automatically. When the sync is complete, we'll email you and you'll be able to explore dbt in Select Star!