Comment on page
To connect BigQuery to Select Star, you will need...
- Admin access to your BigQuery instance.
Complete all of the following steps to see BigQuery metadata, lineage, and popularity in Select Star.
Click + Create Service Account.
Grant the following roles to the service account:
- BigQuery Job User
- BigQuery Metadata Viewer
- BigQuery Resource Viewer
- BigQuery Data Viewer (optional: when this is turned off we won’t be able to show the detailed table information including table size, row count, etc)
In order to add more projects in your Data Source you will need to have already created service account for one of the projects and:
- 1.Select your first project in which you have created the service account
- 2.Navigate to IAM & Admin → Service accounts in the project you have created the service account in and copy the email.Copy the email and save it for later.
- 3.Go to the destination project, i.e. the one that we want to grant the service account
- 4.In IAM & Admin → IAM and click on “ADD” at the top.a. Select IAM in menu and follow the link.b. Once in IAM, click "ADD"
- 6.You have successfully granted your service account permissions in another project, continue those steps if you want to add more projects.
Once the Service Account is created, click the Select Star Service Account in the list.
Go to Keys tab, and click Add Key → Create new key.
Leave the Key type as
JSON, and click Create. It will begin downloading the JSON file.
Go to the Select Star Settings. Click Data in the sidebar, then + Add to create a new Data Source.
Choose BigQuery in the Source Type dropdown and provide the following information:
- Display Name: This value is
BigQueryby default, but you can override it if desired.
After you fill in the information, you'll be asked to select the databases you'd like to load into Select Star.
Select Star will not read queries or metadata or generate lineage for databases, schemas, or tables that are not loaded. Please load all data for which you expect to see lineage.
Select the database and click Next.
For each database you selected, you'll be able to select the schemas.
Your metadata should start loading automatically. Please allow 24-48 hours to completely generate popularity and lineage.
When the sync is complete, you'll be able to explore your BigQuery instance in Select Star. See the link below for more information on BigQuery in Select Star.