Looker Studio (beta)
Follow these steps to connect your Google Data Studio instance to Select Star.
To connect Google Data Studio to Select Star, you will need...
- Access to Google Workspace admin console
- Access to Google Cloud project for BigQuery exports
Google Data Studio does not currently provide APIs that are necessary for the functioning of Select Star. For this reason, Select Star is forced to intercept the user account.
To provide access to Google Data Studio, we recommend to create a dedicated user account for Select Star that serves as a service account. However, it is not necessary and not required, especially during the trial and evaluation stage.
1. Sign to a Google user account with access to Google Data Studio.
3. Open Developer console in Google. To open the developer console in Google Chrome, open the Chrome Menu in the upper-right-hand corner of the browser window and select More Tools > Developer Tools. You can also use
J(on macOS), or
Screenshot shows the Developr console of Google Chrome browser
4. Select tab "Network" in the Developer console. Refresh the browser tab to fill the "Network" tab with data. Search for request to "datastudio.google.com".
Screenshot shows the request to "datastudio.google.com" in the Network tab
5. Select the request, then open context menu and select
Copy as CURL
Keep the value as you will need it to create integrations in final steps.
To set up a BigQuery Export configuration, you first need to set up a BigQuery project in the Google Cloud console. To analyze activity, including calculating the popularity of individual reports, it is necessary to provide Select Star access to audit logs and usage reports for Google Data Studio by exporting them to Google BigQuery.
To set up a BigQuery Export configuration, follow Google Workspace documentation about "Set up service log exports to BigQuery".
Note that the export only contains logs from its setup until it is disabled. Exporting them to BigQuery may take Google up to 48 hours, and then Select Star should ingest them within 24 hours.
Next create a service account with the permissions to read the project with exports:
- BigQuery Data Viewer
- BigQuery Job User
This service account will be later used for reading the activity logs.
1. Go to the Select Star Settings. Click Data in the sidebar, then + Add to create a new Data Source.
2. Fill form in the required information:
3. Proceed to next step and select Skip Activity Source if you don't want to use popularity feature in Select Star.
4. Proceed to next step and select Add Activity Source dropdown and fill Activity Log Source together with supplying BQ service account json with credentials that you created in step 3.
Pages in Looker Studio can contain one or multiple charts. Looker Studio offers a canvas on which to place those charts, but there is no way to assign a text field to a given chart.
Select Star will figure out automatically the chart titles by looking at text fields that are positioned immediately before a given chart.
To ensure your Looker Studio connection to Select Star properly ingests the names for all the Charts in your Pages, please make sure that you add a text box with the title of the chart above it.
Find an example in the images below of the layout that Select Star expects.
Page view in Select Star
Page view in Looker Studio