Follow these steps to connect your Databricks SQL warehouse (Unity Catalog) to Select Star.
To connect Databricks to Select Star, you will need...
A service principal is an identity that you create in Databricks for use with automated tools, jobs, and applications. Service principals give automated tools and scripts API-only access to Databricks resources, providing greater security than using users or groups. It also prevents jobs and automations from failing if a user leaves your organization or a group is modified. For details, see Manage Service Principal.
Account admins can add service principals to your Databricks account using the account console or the System for Cross-domain Identity Management (SCIM) Account API.
To add a service principal to the account using the account console:
- 2.Click User management.
- 3.On the Service principals tab, click Add service principal.
- 4.Enter a name (SelectStar) for the service principal.
- 5.Click Add.
- The account console
- The Workspace Assignment API
Workspace admins can manage service principals in their workspace using the following:
- The workspace admin console (if the workspace is enabled for identity federation)
- The workspace-level SCIM (ServicePrincipals) API
- The Workspace Assignment API (if the workspace is enabled for identity federation)
To add service principals to a workspace using the account console, the workspace must be enabled for identity federation.
- 2.Click Workspaces.
- 3.On the Permissions tab, click Add permissions.
- 4.Search for and select the service principal SelectStar and assign the permission level (workspace Admin), and click Save.
To grant SQL Warehouse access for a service principal using the workspace admin console, the workspace must be enabled for identity federation.
- 1.As a workspace admin, log in to the Databricks workspace.
- 2.Click your username in the top bar of the Databricks workspace and select Admin Console.Admin Console
- 3.Click Settings and select Service principals.
- 4.On the Service principals tab, click the service principal that was create in the previous steps.
- 5.Select the checkbox for Databricks SQL access and Workspace access, and click Update.Entitlements for service principal
- 1.Log in to a workspace that is linked to the metastore.
- 2.Click Data.
- 3.Click the catalog that needs to be granted access to, and select Permissions.Catalog permissions in the Data Explorer UI
- 4.Click Grant.
- 5.Select the user/group and grant Privilege presets to Data Reader, and select the checkbox for USE CATALOG, USE SCHEMA and SELECT, and click Grant.
Privileges for service principal or User groups
To authenticate a service principal to APIs on Databricks, an administrator can create a Databricks Personal Access Tokens on behalf of the service principal.
- 2.Create a Databricks personal access token on behalf of the service principal using the
POST /token-management/on-behalf-of/tokensoperation in the token management REST API. An administrator can also list personal access tokens and delete them using the same API.
Generate a Personal Access Token
Go to the Select Star Settings. Click Data in the sidebar, then + Add to create a new Data Source.
Choose Databricks in the Source Type dropdown and provide the following information:
Display Name: This value is
Databricksby default, but you can override it if desired.
Access Token: This is the Personal access token from Step 2, which is used to authenticate access to Databricks.
After you fill in the information, you'll be asked to select the catalog you'd like to load into Select Star.
Select the catalogs and click Next.
For each catalog you selected, you'll be able to select the schemas.
Your metadata should start loading automatically. Please allow 24-48 hours to completely generate popularity and lineage.
When the sync is complete, you'll be able to explore Databricks in Select Star.
See the link below for more information on Databricks in Select Star.